Silver gilded lamp base
Sometimes when we newly decorate a room, some of our existing furniture, furnishings and accessories we want to re-use don’t quite fit in with the new scheme and décor. Gilding is an alternative to painting or purchasing new items. It works well on mirror and picture frames, candlesticks and furniture.With larger items like furniture, work on one manageable area at a time.
Although an acceptable finish, these lamp bases did not blend in with their intended new position .
Here is a quick step by step guide should you want to give it a go yourself.
Annie Sloan dark wax
Small paint brush
Small firm bristled brush ( artists)
Lint free cloth
- With the small paint brush, ‘paint’ the gold size over the lamp base ( if doing more than one item, do one at a time otherwise the ‘size’ will dry too much, as it acts like glue) to the areas you want gilding. The size will appear white, and when ready to use will appear clear.
- Taking one sheet of gilding paper at a time, silver or gold side down onto the surface and dab and brush gently onto the backing paper. The gilding will stick to the size.
- Gently lift the paper, and move onto the next area which needs gilding. Don’t worry if the silver or gold tears or breaks as this will give a slightly distressed and worn appearance, adding interest. Continue until all the gilding has been applied to the areas you want to gild. Leave to dry.
- If gilding more than one item, repeat the above process.
- If you want a bright shiny finish to the lamp bases, ( or item being gilded) apply clear wax to seal it.
- If an ‘aged’ or ‘antiqued’ finish is required mix a little Annie Sloan dark wax with a small amount of white spirit in a plastic bowl to form a soft malleable wax which can be brushed easily with a small paint brush, and apply over the lamp base.
- After a couple of minutes, with a small lint free cloth gently wipe off the excess wax solution. The dark wax should be in any grooves or details and a toned down silver or gold with an ‘aged’ patina on the smoother surfaces.
- Leave to dry and fit with shades.
Shade from IKEA http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/search/?k=OLLSTA%20shade%20grey
If you intend to use an IKEA lampshade, and a non IKEA lamp base, ensure that the lampshde comes with a metal adaptor ring. The ring sits on top of the lamp base with the shade on top, and prevents the shade being wobbly.
Bespoke vintage gilded furniture from Piece Unique http://pieceunique.co.uk/PUGallery.asp